Wodonga Who's Who
Distinguished and Famous people from Wodonga
Wodonga is a city located in the northeast part of Victoria, Australia. Over the years, the city has produced many distinguished and talented individuals who have contributed to various fields both in Australia and globally. In this article, we will explore some of the famous people from Wodonga.
1. Albury Wodonga Mountain Bike Club: This is one of the famous clubs in Wodonga. They have contributed so much to the growth of cycling in the region. It has also helped to unearth talents and produce professional mountain bike riders.
2. Mike Brady: Mike Brady is an Australian musician and composer born in Wodonga. You might recognize his voice from the AFL Grand Final anthem “Up There Cazaly”. Brady has also composed music for many other sports and events in Australia.
3. Amy Papworth: Amy Papworth is a professional cyclist who was born in Albury and started her career in Wodonga. She became a professional cyclist in 2013, and since then, she has represented Australia in various international cycling competitions.
4. Rhonda Galbally: Rhonda Galbally is a well-known Australian disability rights advocate and philanthropist. She was born in Wodonga and has championed disability and human rights issues in Australia for over 30 years.
5. Gareth Andrews: Gareth Andrews is a former Australian rules football player who played for Collingwood in the Victorian Football League. He was born in Wodonga and played for the local football club before moving on to play nationally.
6. Sara Dougan: Sara Dougan is a notable Australian journalist, best known for her work as a television presenter on ABC News. She was born in Wodonga and began her career with local radio stations in the region before moving to Melbourne.
7. David Ashby: David Ashby was an Australian politician who served as a senator for Victoria in the Australian Parliament. He was also elected as a member of the Legislative Assembly of Victoria. He was born in Wodonga.
8. Karen Inge: Karen Inge is a well-known Australian dietician and nutritionist. She is also a media spokesperson and has appeared in various national television programs. Karen was born in Wodonga and went on to study at Deakin University.
9. Grant Thorne: Grant Thorne is a former Australian racing driver who was born in Wodonga. He competed in various motorsport competitions, including the Australian Rally Championship and the Bathurst 1000.
10. Dr. Larry Marshall: Dr. Larry Marshall is a prominent Australian scientist and entrepreneur who was born in Wodonga. He is currently the CEO of the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), the leading science research organization in Australia.
As you can see, Wodonga has produced numerous impressive individuals over the years. From sports to music, politics to science, the city has plenty of success stories to tell. These individuals have not only brought fame to the city but have also contributed greatly to their respective fields both locally and internationally.